Monday, June 28, 2010

COOP: Creative Frustrations

I've been thinking about my creative process and my creative state of mind lately, and I've been bothered by both... it's weird to say this because, initially, one would think both could be easily manipulated and changed, but in actuality, to take charge of one's creativity is a far-fetched task for some people. As for me, my creativity comes and goes whenever it pleases, and I f*ckin want to know why. Why can't I summon my creative genius on command?

In regards to my earlier beat-making process, creativity used to strike more frequently than it does now; I suppose it’s due to me advancing in technique over the years…maybe I’m caught up in the actual practice of making beats instead of viewing it as an art form, or my mentality when making beats isn't the same as it once was, or it could be my mind being tired of looking at and working with the same workstation/equipment – I’m the type of person who needs constant excitement to avoid boredom...or could be all of the above. Bottom line is that my musical creativity is shot. I need that work flow back – that flow of creativity as I once had – effortlessly executing melody after melody, drum pattern after drum pattern, even if they were less advanced in musicality than melodies and drum patterns I create nowadays.

As I mentioned before, I think I get lost in the actual practice of making beats – seeking to achieve a particular goal within the beat – whether it be giving the beat more energy, or maintaining momentum of the beat, or trying to evoke a certain emotion through melody… when my mind is stuck on trying to achieve these elements (even subconsciously), it obstructs the free flow of musical creativity. Although, I wish I could just fix that dilemma, I don't know if that's something I can necessarily control.

The key subject here is the free flow of creativity yearned by so many, but assessable to utilize by only few. I still have this flow of creativity but only in short spurts throughout the year. For example, my mind will be in a creative state that allows me to make a batch of 5-7 beats over a time span of about a week or two (and that’s a high number for me). My creative process is not a one-go, sit-in, make-a-beat kinda thing. When people ask me how long it takes for me to make a beat, I tell them I don’t know. I can't say that it takes me 10 minutes, or an hour, or two hours to make a beat, because I usually work on several beats at one time, switching back and forth between each one while letting my creativity flow (all this in a couple week's time span). It works out pretty well… for the time the spurt of creativity lasts.

This has been a random rant of thoughts by yours truly, COOP of The Baron Boys, and has no ultimate purpose other than for the reading pleasure of whoever feels like reading it... Thanks for reading.

Enjoy hearing some of our beats at my Twiturm Profile

-Pay Attention-

1 comment:

Sosa the Casanova said...

Dont even worry. Thats why we all here to give you some type of creative idea's. When we get down there next month well brainstorm idea's. Production Block. Prolly just need new equipment and things to excite you to keep you motivated.